Monday, February 5, 2007

RSS Feeds blog

So I went through the intro to the RSS feeds and , while I can understand how it would be very convenient for someone on the go, I would prefer not to complete this particular exercise. I enjoy taking my time to develop my interests and explore on my own. I find that news agencies and bloglines that offer "up to the minute" feeds /details to be frustrating. Also, the kind of things that interest me fall into the categories of research or active participation in a class or performance setting. I think that, because our culture has the attention span of squirrels on crack, most people do not make the time to explore and learn at their own leisure. They've chosen to exist in the Silicon Valley rat race and so everything (for them) must become faster for their fastpaced lives. For myself, I have chosen to live a more creative, less stressful existance so I am able to learn and explore at my own pace. Most of the RSS news feeds tend to be about pop culture (which I have no interest in) or the current news items of the day (which mostly focus on tragedy or scandal), neither of which appeal to me.

1 comment:

Virtual Services Team said...

RSS feeds have other uses but it's good that you're are thinking about this tool. For example. libraries use RSS feeds to announce new materials or events. Netflix does it, too to announce new DVDs available to rent. Certain groups in Yahoo and Google now have feeds so if you happen to belong to a particular community, you'll know when someone has posted something to your group. It's just another option for how people wish to receive information.