Wednesday, March 7, 2007

What I used to do on my weekends in MI


jingle_01
Originally uploaded by jaarockin.
My ethnic heritage includes Native American on my Mom's side of the family (Seneca and Ojibway) from NY state and the Great Lakes area. I used to dance jingle dress at the local powwows throughout the year when I lived back in Michigan. I also worked for one of the local tribes and learned to speak the Ojibway language (Anishinaabe). Since moving away from MI, I've kind of put that part of myself aside. As much as I love being part Native American, I really don't miss the gossip, backstabbing, and the limitations that exist back on the rez. I don't think that it's a bad thing to be an urban NDN or to be an intellectual, creative, loving human being. I still love a good powwow but I'm not about to get involved in the unhealthy relationships and lifestyle that seems to plague other NDNs

1 comment:

B-girl said...

Nice Jingle Dress! I can relate to your comments about the urban native environment. Don't let the haters get you down...you got to know it comes from their own stuff.
Keep on dancing, it will help you.